Monday, November 03, 2008

As Promised

Here is Offspring, sporting her Halloween costume. With her fascination with anything Japanese lately, she demanded a kimono. The ones we saw in stores were all skanky-looking -- too short in length, and made of very flimsy material.

I told Offspring that I could *make* a better costume than what we could find in stores, and she took that bet. She found a lovely black satin fabric for the actual kimono -- you may not be able to tell, but it's embroidered all over with silver butterflies. We chose the scarlet satin fabric for the obi as a splash of color.

My only complaint about the whole construction process was that this lovely fabric unraveled like a son-of-a-gun. I used an entire tube of fray block on all the seams to cut down on so much "shedding", but I still found strands of it all over the place.

It was rather heavy fabric, and I thought that Offspring might regret her choice once Halloween arrived. Living where we do, I can count on one hand the number of times that it's been cold for Trick or Treating. This was one of them, however, and the heavy fabric helped insulate her. I'm glad she was warm, because I was fricking freezing my noonies off.


Bonus conversation:

Me: Do you want to go the whole geisha route, and do the makeup and everything?

O: No. Makeup makes me look like a whore, Mom.

Yeah. Classy. When I asked her why she thought she looked "like a whore" in makeup, she just quirked an eyebrow at me, and I cunningly deduced that some experimentation had been going on behind closed doors.

3 comments:

Marni said...

That is an awesome costume! great job!!!!

ccw said...

That is a wonderful costume. I think I need to start putting in requests and having you ship costumes to Cincy!

I love the whore conversation. Isn't this a lovely age?

kathy a. said...

really great costume!

i've got nothing on the makeup, except that if she starts wearing it and dyes her hair blue, you should definitely take photos.