Friday, November 07, 2008

So It Begins

You know, I knew there was always going to be a section of the populace that was going to be unhappy, no matter which way the election turned out. Obama supporters would have been outraged at the thought that America was still stuck in the Dark Ages where a black man wasn't fit to run the nation, and subject to four more years of George Bush-style foreign policy and tanking economy; and McCain supporters are all up in arms, declaring that America is now headed by a "terrorist" and that we're all going to hell in a Muslim handbasket.

I live in a red state. And, not just a *red* red state -- my state is so red that it makes scarlet look like pink. Most of the counties in my state went for McCain. Here and there, there were pockets of seditious blue, but McCain carried my state quite handily. I never really thought Obama would actually WIN the state, but I thought he might do fairly well in large metropolitan areas. This proved so in a few cases, and not everyone was happy about it.

Two guys planned to go on a spree, killing African Americans and culminating in an Obama assassination attempt, all while wearing white tuxedos and top hats? Yeah, this is a real *sensible* way to state that you're a mite unhappy with a black president. Instead of discussing ways to get involved with your community and help make a difference, we'll just kill the guy we don't like because he's different. When has it become an option that *murder* is a viable means of expressing your discontent?

There's also a story that's been circulating, not only in this part of the country, but I happened to see it mentioned on the Daily Kos as well. It seems that a small town pediatrician sent an email to her staff -- she was very unhappy with what she saw as their lack of a proper work ethic -- but in it, she calls Obama "evil incarnate." Man, I didn't know he was THAT powerful as to be the living embodiment of the forces of darkness.

What in hell is *WRONG* with people?!? I mean, I'll admit I wasn't all totally gung-ho about some of Obama's policies and past associations, but I would have not been happy with a McCain assassination plan, either. Marni had a great philosophy that she told her daughter: "I told Bug that we may/may not like who was elected, but we have to look at the bigger picture. He IS our President and we should support him no matter what. We may/may not agree with what he wants to do, but we are all Americans and he is now the leader of this country."

That's the kind of stuff we need. We need people who are willing to go on, and accept change, even though it may not be what you want, and even though it may not have been what you would have chosen for yourself. I'm not saying that you have to become a fan overnight, but at least give the man a chance.

5 comments:

Val said...

Tuesday night was so exciting--just pure "I-will-remember-these moments-forever" exciting--but I wish I had stayed up even later and headed straight to my blog or to my journal and recorded my thoughts and feelings immediately, because by mid-Wednesday, I had read and heard so much ugliness from people who hadn't voted for Obama that I haven't really been able to feel the same joy or hope since, and certainly haven't been able to recapture it in words. I don't expect us all to agree either, but like you, I'd like to think we were all capable of at least giving the President-Elect a chance, regardless of how we voted. I myself was shocked and disappointed when Bush was re-elected in 2004, but I still made cupcakes on Inauguration Day and said a prayer for him during the parade that day and hoped for the best, you know? There's been too much ugliness this week, for sure.

Liz Miller said...

Amen.

ccw said...

The hate is something I cannot understand. I wanted Obama to win very, very badly and would have been deeply saddened if he had lost. I feel he will move our country in a better direction; a different direction from the politics of Bush. However, I would not have been afraid that the entire country would go to hell had McCain won.

Seeing the clips of the McCain/Palin rallies, the people's reactions afterwards, and having them attack me personally made me sad that people could be filled with such hate. Being able to vote and have a choice is one of the beauties of our nation. Every citizen cannot be made happy with every election but the hate that came out with this election was scary.

This was a historic election no matter how it turned out. I hope that those who did not support Obama will listen to the words he spoke during his acceptance speech and have faith that he will listen to us all.

ccw said...

Forget to further ramble that I was so disappointed in my niece. Her parents are die hard Republicans and McCain supporters. So it makes sense that at 18 her views are still 100% in line with her parents.

The day before the election her facebook picture had been changed to one of Obama with "Hitler gave great speeches too" and the day after the election her status was "Liz says fuck Obama".

I wanted to smack her and ask her what in the hell is wrong with her. It's so unwarranted and only makes her sound like a complete moron; not the bright wonderful young woman that I know.

Anonymous said...

Living in Illinois, a pretty blue state, I might have a different take. People in my mid-sized city have for the most part been elated. I spent the day after the election grinning. Normally, I don't grin. Maybe those who hate or fear Obama in these parts are afraid to admit it given how he won Illinois by a landslide?

But even before we knew who our final two candidates were, I knew one thing for certain: No matter who won the presidency, he or she would have at least 80 or 90 IQ points over our current prez. That alone would be a victory.

BTW - my sister was in Grant Park for the speech. She wasn't in with the ticket holders, she was out on the fringes. But it didn't matter. It was a magical place to be. A nice new image for Democrats and Grant Park!