Friday, April 11, 2008

Bullets Of Spring Break

Sorry, all -- I've been away for most of the week. The fam and I took a few short days of vacation while Offspring and I were out of school for Spring Break. We loaded up the car and headed for Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

* I spent a lot of summers at Myrtle Beach as I was growing up. My aunt owns some condos there, so it was always easy to get away for some fun by the sea.

* We decided to go there because my aunt still owns those condos, and was generous enough to loan us one for the week at no charge (Thanks, Auntie B!) Juggling Freak and I went there on our honeymoon almost 16 years ago, and we were curious as to how the place had changed. Offspring had never been, so we looked on it as something new and different.

* We took lots of pictures, some of which I'll upload later. We played typical tourists, taking lots of pictures and embarrassing the snot out of Offsping. As we all know, this is the primary job of the parents of teenagers.

* KMart pretty much sucks no matter what state or city it happens to be in. We were in need of some supplies mid-week, and we happened to see a KMart, thinking we'd stop in and quickly grab what we needed. Silly me for thinking "KMart" and "quick" in relation to each other. The place was pretty busy, it being the beginning of the beach season and Myrtle Beach *is* a tourist haven, with people who have disposable income at the ready. We got the things that we needed, and started for the checkouts. There was ONE checkout open, with one woman who was slower than molasses as the cashier. Of course, since we're sort of in a hurry, we had an item that just! would! not! scan!!! and she had to go to another register to call the toy department for a price check. Which takes eons, of course. Finally, after about five people in line behind us have dumped their items and left in disgust, she rings the toy up at five dollars. We beat feet out of there quickly before we got caught up in an endless, mind-numbing loop.

* We spent a lot of time at Broadway at the Beach, which is a big shopping and dining area, along the lines of Downtown Disney, and had a great time. Got some good pictures of places around here, which I promise to post later.


Now, unfortunately, we have to get ready to get back into the grind of work, work, work. It was nice having some time off, but it's all too short.

3 comments:

ccw said...

Glad you had a nice break!

Yes, KMart blows ass!

Karyn said...

Sounds good, apart from the KMart suckage. We have no Wal*Mart here in town, so KMart is all we've got. It's not fair, I tell you.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Unknown said...

I believe that I am the only person in America that has never set foot in a KMart. We don't have them around here (or if we do, I don't know where) and I just missed ever shopping in one. Ditto on WalMart, but I have been in one 2 or 3 times. It's just not my kinda shopping. I"m a Target girl myself!