Friday, January 04, 2008

Resolution-Free Zone

I have decided that I will not be making any resolutions this year. I usually try and make one or two, and when I flame out spectacularly on them, I usually feel like a failure. I have good intentions, but I think I set very unrealistic goals for myself. Say, for example, expecting to lose 100 pounds before the summer. That's admirable, but I'd have to lop off at least one arm and one leg to make that a feasible goal. Losing weight is a good idea, but I want too much, too fast.

So, rather than set myself up for what seems like pre-scheduled self loathing and torture, I decided that I would just not make any resolutions. I will still try and do the things like I would normally resolve to do, but I won't set myself sky-high goals or limits.

So, instead of saying: "I will lose fifty pounds or more," I will just try to eat better, and get more exercise without quantifying it.

Instead of saying, "My house will be utterly spic and span," I will just keep trying to get rid of excess stuff, and organize those things I do have. My recent near-obsession with storage cabinets and bins and the like is already helping in this area.

I'm just tired of disappointing myself. Maybe if I try a low-key approach, I will be more successful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are my kind of non-resolutions, KLee! I've never been great at setting goals. They motivate some people, but goals tend to loom over and nag at me. Your approach is the smart one. You're bound to be surprised at your success instead of feeling like a failure for not meeting arbitrary goals.

Miche said...

Sounds like a grand approach to me! Good luck!

Jenevieve said...

Matt and my only resolution this year is to each buy one album of new music a month. :) And I'm using the new year as an excuse to start journaling again, but I'm not resolving to do so.

ccw said...

A wonderful way to approach resolutions.

I did not make a single one this year because it takes away from the steps forward if I don't reach the goal.

However, if the last 6 pounds of Nonami would fall off of me (and any of my back fat that would like to follow) I wouldn't complain.

Liz Miller said...

I like it!!!

Anonymous said...

You do realize that resolving not to make a resolution is a resolution.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Fortune Cookies said...

My resolution this year was to not set myself up for failure via unrealistic expectations in the form of resolutions. YAY! You are on the enlightened path. Strive for progress rather than perfection and you will see that you are much happier and healthier. Good luck with the progress. And remember, if you hit a stalemate, don't worry, sometimes forward movement is not noticeable to the naked eye. We can't see the earth spin from where we stand, but gravity tells us that is does.