Monday, August 14, 2006

This Year's Crew

My students this year seem like a good bunch. They were all very excited to begin school, and they all came into the classroom without a fuss. I was lucky that we didn't get any screamers or criers. I can deal with screamers and criers, but it usually sets others off, and a lot of kids learn that very first day that they can control the direction that the class goes in, just by their behavior alone.

I have a class full of talkers. Surprisingly, the talkers are all boys. I normally have to split up the girls because they're so social -- they sit and chat, rather than doing whatever I've asked them to do. This year, it was the boys. I have four very gregarious boys already that have managed to have to be split up at different tables due to their overwhelming desire to yak on about anything and everything.

A lot of the parents mentioned how excited the kids were to get up and report to school today, and I always smile when I hear that. I hope that we foster their love of learning, and give them plenty of reasons to make them anticipate school each day. It's the start of a new year, and a start down the educational road for each of these children, and it is our mission to make it an enjoyable journey. I hope we live up to their expectations, and they fulfill all of mine. I think we're going to have a great year.

7 comments:

Marni said...

You will have a great year! Sounds like you are off and running...

ccw said...

They sound like a wonderful group! I hope you have a great start to the new year.

Anonymous said...

I think you're going to have a great year, too. See? Your enthusiasm is catching!

La Binsk

KLee said...

Oh, I spoke too soon! They must have been in "company behavior" mode yesterday, because three of them were in trouble before one o'clock. For talking without ceasing. I have one who has no concept of the "inside voice." I have to yell at him to stop yelling, which just makes me look like an idiot. Then I got a new student at 10am who is just hell on wheels. Oy. She's going to be a handful and a half.

They're a pretty smart little group. But if they don't hush, I'm breaking out the duct tape.

molly said...

I think it says alot for you as a teacher that you're concerned to meet your students expectations, not only that they meet yours. I hope you all have a great year.

Liz Miller said...

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Have a great school year!

Bridget said...

yeah! hope it pans out to be be a great year and you don't need the duct tape!