Saturday, October 29, 2005

If That Ain't a Fine How-Do-You-Do

I guess it shouldn't surprise me anymore about how nasty people can be to each other, but my optimistic streak tends to make me a little less suspecting of people than I guess I should be. What I mean to say is that sometimes, my sunny outlook on life doesn't serve me so well.

In my profession, there is a place for everyone. Everyone contributes to the education of a child, from administrators all the way down to janitorial staff. I think no one is beneath me, and I think we all have bearing on each child we come in contact with, no matter if we're the school counselor or the school lunch lady or the classroom teacher. Sort of the "it takes a village" mentality.

That's why it galls me, and even more than that, angers me, when I am faced with people who are just downright rude and ugly when I have the rare occasion to run into them in my work environment. It's a very rude awakening, because when I'm at work, I'm focused on the job at hand. In my home life, I'm very disorganized. Not so at work. At home, I am not winning any contests *ever* for the cleanliness of my area. At school, I can't stand a cluttered classroom. This dichotomy is frustrating to my beloved spouse, but I digress.

Even more galling is to be called on the carpet for *doing my job.* I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing, and I got fussed at in front of children and adults for doing so. And, what makes it even more ire-inducing, I was taken to task by someone who is not even in my department, and who has no right to tell me what to do in any case.

I know some of you Bloggy Buddies out there have dealt with similar instances -- it happens countless times a day out there. It's an old story. I shouldn't be surprised at the way people can live their lives so full of hate, but here's where the "silver lining" really eludes me. How toxic are these people, that they have nothing better to do in their lives than make trouble -- invent trouble -- for others?

I should develop a thicker skin. It would be much nicer if people chose to focus on the positive, rather than the negative, but that's a rather simplistic way to view the world.

3 comments:

Running2Ks said...

KLee, I don't understand why people spew hatred and bile and anger around. I wish people were kinder to each other. We can only lead by example and avoid the cruel people as much as possible. A smile, some polite words, but I guess we have to try not to let them get us down. I feel sorry for them--that's how I cope, anyway. Mean people hurt themselves the most.

ccw said...

KLee, sorry. I have never understood why some people just choose to live their lives full of bitterness. I cannot imagine how tired they must keeping up such a hateful attitude.

I am far from optimistic, but even with my "glass half empty" attitude, I have never been intentionally cruel to someone (outside of some bad teen behavior)

KLee said...

I know I shouldn't let such pettiness get me down, but it's part of my natural makeup to want to smooth things over. I don't like distress and upheaval. I don't like people being nasty to each other.

It's harder when you have to put on a polite face and deal with people that you know whould happily drive a skewer through you. I try not to let it bother me, but you have to take bad with the good, I suppose.